Article Courtesy Scrapjazz.com: by Georgina Hefferman
Anniversary n pl -ries
1. the date on which an event occurred in some previous year a wedding anniversary
2. the celebration of this
1. of or relating to an anniversary
2. recurring every year, esp on the same date
We’re coming up to the wedding season again. The weather gets a little warmer and we start to see lots of wedding cards in all the online galleries. One thing we don’t see much of, though, is anniversary cards. That surprises me somewhat, although I guess anniversaries are more personal and perhaps people only make one of them a year for their significant other rather than giving lots to others.
I think we need to start making more anniversary cards – I’m starting a campaign! I challenge you all to make one right now and upload it to the gallery!
Seriously though, how nice is it to send an anniversary card to your parents on their wedding anniversary, or perhaps a couple you are friends with. Nothing is more meaningful than knowing you are thinking about them on their special day.
Of course each wedding anniversary means something different – here is a list of traditional anniversary gifts that you may find useful when creating your wedding anniversary cards:
1st – Paper
2nd – Cotton
3rd – Leather
4th -- Fruit
5th -- Wood
6th -- Sugar
7th -- Wool
8th – Bronze
9th – Pottery
10th -- Tin
11th – Steel
12th -- Silk
13th -- Lace
14th -- Ivory
15th – Crystal
25TH – Silver
30th – Pearl
35th – Coral
40th – Ruby
50th – Golden
55th – Emerald
60th – Diamond
65th – Sapphire
70th – Platinum
Here are a few examples of anniversary cards I have made recently.
They are all quite different and for different couples but as you can see all of them involve the couple in some way. They feature as my main focus. If you are not sure where to start with an anniversary card, think about the couple first. Think about their likes and dislikes and what they are like as a couple.
If you check out the Scrapbook.com store, you will find a huge variety of stamps and embellishments you can use for your anniversary cards. Check my top ten favorites here:
- Martha Stewart Scroll Heart Punch – These are perfect to use for any anniversary.
- Little Yellow Bicycle, Heart Paper Doilies – Doilies are all the rage right now and would be perfect to use for a “paper” anniversary card.
- Kaisercraft Valentine rub-on’s - These sentiments are adorable, brilliant for any anniversary.
- Jolee’s Boutique Anniversary Sticker – Save a lot of time, and put this on the front of a card by itself, to help you make a really quick anniversary card.
- K & Company First Anniversary sticker collection – This is a totally cute collection of stickers.
- Paper Wizards Anniversary Die Cut – This would look amazing on a card for a silver anniversary.
- Jolee’s Jewels – Jewelry Beads – These are so pretty and they shimmer like glass. They would make a beautiful embellishment to a silk anniversary card.
- Prima Natural Lace – This is stunning, and would add a vintage feel for those lace anniversary cards.
- Prima Bling Borders – Because let’s face it, every card should have a lot of bling on it!
- Bazzill Basics Ruby Circles – These would look adorable on a ruby anniversary card.
I hope that provides you with some inspiration. Of course, you do not have to limit yourself to just wedding anniversaries! Anything that you want to remember each year can be an anniversary. Perhaps the number of years you have lived in your home would be worth a card, for example. Think outside the box a little and see what you can create.