For my birthday this year I received a Singer sewing machine from my parents. I have been teaching myself how to quilt and puttering with fabric on layouts. My first layout I just sewed the fabric onto the cardstock and put the photos on top. I had trouble getting the pictures to stick. You need more adhesive tabs than if you were sticking paper to paper.
I thought the look was OK but then I tried making fabric
matts and loved the way they looked on the layouts
1. Pick out the photo you want matted and decide how
much material you want to stick out.
2. Cut a piece of cardstock to the measurement of the
3. Cut the Fabric bigger than the intended finished matt
and iron two sides and stitch in place.
4. Fold the remaining two side and stitch them down.
** you could sew ribbon or rick rack on the matt now
5. Place the matt (without the photo) on your layout and
stitch the matt down. I stitched an X where it wouldn’t
6. Mount the photo on the matt. The matt is more taunt
and the tabs stick better to it.
I have a layout in the gallery “Chicken Scoop” that uses this technique.