Product Review: QuicKutz Silhouette
What's blue and white and cool all over? The QuicKutz Silhouette! This computer-based cutter is definitely cool. It allows you to cut all of the TrueType fonts on your computer, and it comes with 50 exclusive QuicKutz designs. Love their die cuts? Now you have access to 675+ designs in the exclusive Digital Design library. Best of all, now you can cut many of your favorites in a size that's just right for your project.
The Silhouette can cut:
- patterned paper
- iron-on transfer paper - custom t-shirts!
- vinyl - those incredibly cool wall designs, perhaps?
- magnetic paper - car magnets, anyone?
- wood paper - this is very thin, specialty paper, roughly the same weight as a heavy cardstock
- sticker paper
and more! Plus, you can create your own designs with the quick and easy auto-trace function. Simply import a design (a JPG or BMP is recommended), load the file, and go through the auto-trace steps. Presto - a new design of your own creation!
As with all good things, there is a bit of a learning curve to the software. Be prepared to spend some time getting used to all of the functions. Since the Silhouette software uses the GSD file format, you'll also be able to use many of the freely available files from the Wishblade or Craft Robo systems.
While the Silhouette doesn't directly support Macs, the hardware is supported, and there's a plug-in available to allow Mac users to cut directly from Illustrator.
- compatible with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista
- cut any TrueType font with ease
- cut items from ¼" to 8" wide, and up to 39" long
- cut vellum, paper, cardstock (even Bazzill), and vinyl
- huge base of freely available files, in almost any theme imaginable
- cuts TrueType fonts, no cartridges necessary
- access to the exclusive QuicKutz design library
- limited cutting ability for heavier materials
- requires connectivity to a computer to cut text or designs
- width is restricted to 8" wide
Perfect for: the scrapper or cardmaker who crops at home, or pre-plans elements to take to crops. A medium comfort level with your computer would be helpful.