Article Courtesy Scrapjazz.com: by Andrea Steed
I lucked into this photograph when I was killing some time one afternoon and playing with my son on the bed--taking photos--when my husband came into the room and plopped a cowboy hat on Paxton. This ended up being my favorite photo of the bunch, taken in the split second before Paxton took the hat off.
Since it's become one of my favorite photos, I really wanted the layout to do it justice and reflect the weathered, textured cowboy feel. I looked in my stash of scrapbook supplies for browns, reds, blacks, and textures like leather and metal, as well as designs that mimic the swirls in old west movie titles. I love the combination that I ended up with.
- Heidi Swapp World Traveler patterned paper
- Heidi Swapp chipboard alphabet ("boy")
- Doodlebug Loopy Lou white alphabet stickers
- Pink Paislee "Naughty or Nice" patterned paper
- brown cardstock
- leather strap
- Little Sprout Fancy Pants Rub-On ("little")
- metal star charm
- notebook paper
- photo corners
- Cut the 12" x 12" Heidi Swapp patterned paper to 8 1/2" x 11". In order to keep the majority of the circle in the design, I first cut 1/2" from each side, creating an 11" x 11" square, and then trimmed off the right side of the circle to make the paper 8 1/2" wide.
- Mat the 5" x 7" photograph onto brown cardstock that is slightly larger than the photo, creating a thin brown border.
- Ink the edges of four photo corners. Using the photo corners, attach the photo slightly off-center to the layout, within the circle design on the patterned paper.
- Next, tear out a sheet of notebook paper, trim off the torn edge, and cut it to about 6" tall. Slide it just underneath the left side of the photo mat and adhere it to the layout.
- Free-hand or punch a heart shape from the Pink Paislee "Naughty or Nice" red patterned paper and sand the edges to let the white core of the paper show through on the edges of the heart. Then adhere the heart to the layout at the bottom left corner of the photograph, sliding it underneath the torn notebook paper border.
- Cut a leather strap to about 7" wide and then cut one end at an angle. Ink the edges with brown ink and adhere the leather strap to the page, slightly overlapping the bottom edge of the photograph.
- Add your title letters, beginning with the chipboard "BOY" letters, then the rub-on "little" and finally adding the metal star and "cow" letter stickers. I also added one more tiny red heart to the center of the "o" in "cow" for a special touch.
- Finally, I wrote Paxton's name and added the date the photo was taken with a date stamp to the bottom edge of the layout within the white circle design of the patterned paper.