Article Courtesy Scrapjazz.com: by Patter Cross
Product Name: Faber-Castell Color Gelatos (2 and 4 piece sets)
Price: varies ($3.99 to $9.99)
Color Gelatos are acid-free pigment sticks that produce a vibrant color and can be used with water or without. They can be used on paper (textured and smooth), canvas, stamps, etc. Each set works well together for color blending, and they are permanent. There are several Gelato sets available. These include:
- Red and Yellow 4-piece Set
- Neutrals 4-piece Set
- Blue and Green 4-piece Set
- Gold and Silver 2-piece Set
- Black and White 2-piece Set
- Metallic 4-piece Set
Each of the four-piece sets comes with four different colored Gelatos, a paint brush, and a clear stamp. The two-piece sets come with two different colored Gelatos.
A fun way to use Gelatos is to rub them directly onto a stamp and stamp them onto your cardstock. Here I spritzed the Memory Box Vintage Record Sheet stamp with water, and then I colored it with the white Gelatos and stamped it onto cardstock.
You can also "splash" Gelatos on your page. Here I used the orange Gelatos on the cardstock by rubbing some Gelatos onto my acrylic block, spritzing it with water, and then getting it all on my paintbrush to "flick" onto the paper. There are subtle drops of orange on the layout (see photo above). A darker color of course would give a bolder affect.
I guess a disadvantage would be knowing all that you can do with the Gelatos. I have not had these for very long, and I continue to play and learn new techniques. It is certainly fun to learn and play, however.
Tips & Techniques:
Project Ideas & Examples:
Here is an 8"x8" layout I created with white and orange Gelatos using the techniques described above.
- papers: Memory Box Pixie, Bazzill cardstock
- Faber-Castell: PITT big brush pen nougat, Gelatos white and orange
- stamps: Memory Box Vintage Record Sheet G1712, Memory Box Gorgeous Mini Bloom B1761, Memory Box Gorgeous Bloom E1760
- embellishments: Memory Box pearl lace and classic scallop dies, Memory Box white pearl stickers, Making Memories tiny alpha stickers, BasicGrey piper chip alpha, Kaiser Craft pearl (large)
You can see many more Faber-Castell Gelato projects by searching on "Gelato" in the gallery. You should definitely give them a try because they truly add fun to any creation!