Deciding between large Empress or Sizzix Switch Plus, White, Any experiences are welcomed

• CAQ
    I need to switch, no pun intended, to an electric die cutter. I am not talking about a computer one line Cricut or Scan n Cut. Not interested in sitting in front if a computer. I like holding and looking at the dies, and the edge you get.

I do not like Gemini, I am not saying why because I do not want to bad mouth them when It could just be me, or a fluke.

I am debating the Sizzix Switch Plus in white, and the Empress, ot the mini - about the same size as the Seitch Plus. I thi k the plate dimensions are a bit different, but the similar size.

SIZZIX SWITCH PLUS
    Pros
    1. Will use my plates and platforms I currently have for my Sizzix Big Shot Plus.
    2. I am familiar with the Sizzix name.
    3. Their products are more easily accessible than the Empress.
    4. A decibel test shows the Switch a lot quieter than the Empress.
    5. I like that it won't let the plates just drop after they shoot through.
    6. I like you have to give it a nudge to start the sandwich through, but do not have to press a button first.
    7. I like the storage in the base, I think the Empress might have that, I cannot remember.

Cons
    1. I am not sure, but some reviews said the plates warp more quickly than the Empress. I am talking when using as intended. ot taping sandwiches together, I would. ot do that. Tape snags and then it will get jammed in the machine, No thank you. I know plates warp. But, in one video when the plate warped and was still used, the die did not cut in the middle. Now, this video was not well made. I tend to think this was the YouTuber's issue, not the machine, but I need to know. I can't rely on YouTube videos.
    2. Because I do not know much, other than what the ads sy, I cannot think of other cons.

EMPRESS
    I really do not know much. I watched videos, but am not sure. The YouTubers I saw the videos from did. ot seem to know exactly what they were talking about, or present what they did know very well, or they were sponsored. I only have cons, s a result

Cons
    1. Limited places to purchase.
    2. From what I saw, plates are an odd dimension. I can use my Spellbinder plates with my Big Shot Plus, but I would not be able to switch around with the Empress Plates.
    3. Noisier than the Sizzix Switch Plus.
    4. The plates drop in the back, like the Gemini Mini. I hate that.
    5. Have to press a button to start the feeding of the sandwich.
    6. I am not familiar with its quality. The video that did the decibel comparison, the Empress what vibrating and shaking a lot when cutting a simple thinlit die, or any other thing she did. It was on the same table right next to the Sizzix Switch Plus. The Sizzix Switch Plus did not vibrate.

I am not sure I can trust the comments or most of the comments in the YouTube videos. Reviews in Scrapbook are pretty worthless. Sorry, but they are. They all say the review was about a different product. I do not read them anymore.

In watching the YouTube videos, the only thing I can be sure of is the color they ooh and ah about. I am not interested in that, I just want to know about the workings of the machine.

Plates warp, it is a given. I do not believe the video or article I read, not sure if it was a video or article, that said ahe used her plates for a year on the Empress and they never warped. Nobody else pointed that out.

If anyone has used one or both of these machines, can you please give me your thoughts?

My use is making greeting cards. I do not cut material or poster board, or thin wood sheets. I cut different weights of cardstock and acetate sheets and vellum. I would not be making hundreds of cards. I am not a business. I make them for friends and family, only. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your prompt replies. I need to decide soon.

• Dawna.s Place
    @CAQ. Good Morning, I unfortunately have not used the Switch so I can't comment on it. However my friend Elizabeth @eapipkin has one, so hopefully she can comment for you.

I am familiar with the Empress and find that it's simply a dream to craft with. I have owned mine for 2 years and there is zero plate warpage or vibration when in use. I have no idea why someone commented with a vibration problem, but I have never experienced that with mine. There is a hum when running your sandwich through, but it feeds and cuts cardstock and acetate beautifully. The mat for the Empress is magnetic, which means, it holds your cardstock and dies securely in place in the sandwich. That was a huge pro for me. My magnetic mat has lasted me two years and is just now starting to show enough wear and tear that I probably need a new one come the fall this year. New mats cost $9.00 to replace (also a big pro for me), at Anna Griffins site, and the plates just don't warp at all, so there is no replacement cost for them. The Empress is the first machine that I have ever used who's plates do not warp. I have both the large plate system and the small plate system and I have been very happy with them. I have an electronic Big Shot and a manual Gemini Platinum, both of which need new plates every year. Over the two years I've owned it, I have made hundreds of cuts without any issues. It's super easy to use and while you do have to grab the plates once they appear on the other side, I've never found that to be an actual nuisance. My friend @Kelly.R also has experience with various machines and recently invested in an Empress. Hopefully she won't mind sharing her experience with you. Based on my experience, I highly recommend the Empress, it really is a joy to craft with. Wishing you the best as you decide on your next machine.

• ChansGram
    I can only comment on the Switch.
    I have the coral colored one from HL.
    I wasn't willing to pay more just for color.
    I LOVE this machine.
    I've only ever used the Big Shot ( well over a decade ) before buying the Switch.
    I cannot say the plates warp any faster using the Switch than they did using the Big Shot.
    I have a fairly extensive die collection and use them on pretty much every layout I make.
    I very rarely use the large platform that comes with the machine because I don't need that much space often.
    By using the smaller platform it's not as expensive to replace the plates as the larger size.
    I have had my Switch for a year now and have never had any issues or regretted my purchase.
    I don't know if this helps you any but just wanted say how happy I've been with the purchase.
    Good luck with your decision.

I am curious how the Empress plates don't warp!!
    Interesting.
  • CAQ
    Thank you. I am impressed with the lasting time of the Empress plates. I think my concern with the Empress was the name recognition factor for me, or lack of.

I like my BiG Shot, but when comparing the plate use length, I am now leaning towards the Empress. Hearing from someone here, who is not a rep or affiliate, makes it a lot easier to believe what I have read by you both.

I don't think I would use the large platform or use it much, either.

The Empress will not take up as much real estate on the desk, and that is probably more or a factor than I was giving it, 😂. As along as I am now convinced it is a good machine, the real estate factor is larger.

Thank you so so so much!
  • Dawna.s Place
    @CAQ You are absolutely correct about desk real estate. The Empress is the smallest footprint of any of the other machines, that I'm aware of, out there. Just as a side note, if my Empress ever broke down, or because unrepairable, I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase this machine again. With the magnetic mat system, I'm spoiled for life! Again wishing you the best!
  • CAQ
    Thanks. I was going to order it Tues through SBC, but I came across a review on SBC that scares me off. I contacted SBC to ask about it. Reviews below products can be misleading and this is a big one, so I am going to have to wait for an answer.
  • Eapipkin
    I have the Sizzix Switch and I really like it. I do use the Magic Mat on the bottom and the clear plate on top. The Magic Mat is finally started warping but it is still usable. I use embossing folders and lots of different dies with good quality on both. If it doesn't go through good the first time I add a piece of cardstock as a shim and it works great. I got a pink one through Hobby Lobby when it was on sale.
  • Kelly.R
    I have to agree with everything Dawna said about the Empress. I bought mine in March and I love it. I have had the Spellbinders Grand Calibur and the Spellbinders Platinum machines. I really liked the GC. Nice thick plates, but I had issues with the handles breaking off. The acrylic plates for the Platinum are horrid. First time use and they warped almost into a C shape. Fortunately, the GC plates work in the Platinum or I would have returned it.

I wrote a review of my experience with the Empress here on SB. I love mine so much and am so glad I bought it. My plates have not warped, but I have throughly used up my magnetic mat. The thing to take notice with the Empress is the plates are thicker than other die cutters which helps it not to warp. Also, when cutting, you cut into the mat, not the plates. The mat is consumable, so it will need to be replaced on occasion. Always rotate the cutting sandwich with each pass. Yes, my plates aren't perfectly straight, but they are not warped. Rotating on each pass helps with that.

I bought my Empress when it was on sale at HSN plus they offered a 20% coupon code, so I got it for $189. Phyllis on this site bought one the same day I did and she loves it. She does YT videos of her makes and she even mentioned in one of her videos how much she loves it.

I would definitely invest in the full size Empress over the mini.

) emoji Kelly
  • CAQ
    I ordered my Ann Griffin Empress today, with a complete extra plate set with metal shim and magnet sheet, and a complete set of small plates, and shims and magnet sheet. I also ordered a set of cut and emboss that I liked. I never heard of them and had to Google it. I should get the plates tomorrow, Tuesday and the machine on Wednesday.

Thanks everyone. It was a hard decision.
  • Kelly.R
    Congratulations! Please post back and let us know how you like it.

) emoji Kelly
  • CAQ
    I will let you all know.

I also ordered her lazy susan for it.
  • CAQ
    I am supposed to receive my Empress tomorrow. We will see. Tracking shows it in TX. I did receive the extra set of plates and pads today that I ordered. I used the Anna Griffin sales through Amazon.

I have my desk cleared where it will be, and I have a power strip available for it.
  • Dawna.s Place
    Congrats on your new Empress! And you got all the goodies to go with it. That's awesome. Please let us know how you like it!
  • ChansGram
    Congrats on your new machine!
    It's always fun getting a new toy!
  • CAQ
    I received the machine last evening. So far, I like it. It is sooooo quiet. It takes up very little desktop space. People complain because she does not include the larger plates, quite frankly, I prefer the larger ones. I rarely need the large plates. I did, however order a set of the larger, which I received before the machine. I also have a spare set of the smaller ones that came with the machine ordered. I got notice that they have shipped.

There is one thing that is a concern. I know plates warp and I expect that, But I have read and heard in videos that these plates do not warp as easily. Some people get 6 mos or more from them. My top one, the one the blade goes in to, is already warping and it is flipped and rotated after each cut, as well as the magnetic pad and bottom plate. I would not make note of this if there was not all this hype about them being made in a way that they will not warp as easily as others. I think they do. Again, I do understand the warping and why, it is just so many reviewers stated it does not happen nearly as fast. I am doing just what is said in the manual. It is odd.

I will get back to you on whether the warping, maybe, slows down after the initial warping. That could be the case but, in spite of this, because other cutters do the same thing, so far, so good. It has only been a day.

• Kelly.R
    So glad you got your machine and like it.

First, do NOT cut into your plates. This machine is designed to cut into the mat. I made that mistake when I first got my Empress because that is how I used my Platinum. I also use the metal shim each time I do a cut.

The sandwich should be bottom plate, metal shim, magnetic mat, paper, die with the blades facing down into the mat and then top plate.

The larger plates are really for AG's slime line and easel dies or if you want to cut several things at once and just need a large area.

I hope that helps. Cut into the mat and see how it makes a difference.

) emoji Kelly
  • CAQ
    Kelly, the instructions clearly say to cut into the top plate. Here is the sandwich from bottom up, in their words.

A Plate
    B Magnet
    Cutting die (face up)
    Cardstock (this means "face up" means blade up to cut the cardstock above it)
    A Plate

That is what the diagram shows, also.

The instructions say to cut into the top A Plate. Are you saying they have the instructions wrong? I am confused, now.

Are the other sandwiches for embossing dies, embossing folders, etc correctly written?

Thanks

• Kelly.R
    I'm going by what other people who own an Empress told me, plus YT videos and videos by AG herself. They all say cut into the mat. I questioned it at first also, because cutting into the mat was going to ruin it. That's when I was told the mat is consumable and will need to be replaced every so often.

Check out this AG video. She cuts into the mat. This is the video that convinced me to buy the Empress. From my research, it appears that the entire plate system has been upgraded since the Empress first came out making the plates and magnetic mat thicker, which changed the sandwich. Notice the magnetic mat used to be white. With the upgrade it's now black, I have that same instruction sheet. I think it's old and pertains to the old Empress.

https://youtu.be/u7ddYpAHTVg

Hopefully, someone else who has an Empress will chime in.

) emoji Kelly
  • CAQ
    Oh, wow! I am going to have to do that! Thank you so much. I am such a stickler for following instructions, I wish they would update their instruction booklet.
  • Dawna.s Place
    @CAQ The instructions you are following are definitely out of date. Kelly is absolutely correct, you only cut into your mat, not your plates. If you correct your sandwich to:

1) bottom acrylic plate
    2) metal shim
    3) magnetic mat
    4) cardstock
    5) face down die
    6) top acrylic plate

You'll be good to go. To emboss, just use your two acrylic plates with your embossing folder and cardstock. If you are running non-Anna Griffin folders, you might need to add in a cardstock shim for thinner folders. The only dies the Empress will not run are the Tim Holtz BigZ dies. Otherwise, your Empress will handle all your other dies like Spellbinders, steel ruled dies, chemically etched dies, thinlets etc.

So glad you are liking your new machine! You'll have to let us know how you're liking it after you have a chance to play with it more. Wishing you the best!
  • CAQ
    Thanks. I have switched to cutting in to the magnetic mat. I actually contacted the folks at Anna Griffin about this. The person said I was to cut in to the cutting plate, not the magnetic pad. I replied and sent a link to the Empress HSN video and asked her to ask someone about it. She said either way.

I like the cuts better after cutting into the magnetic pad, even non-emboss cut dies. They seem slightly puffier and rounded at the top, which makes sense. I laid both ways side by side, they were Sizzix die cuts, and I could tell.

I received the lazy susan for it today. Nice.
  • CAQ
    I just want to add that the lazy susan that goes with it is very nice and males it easier to get the long plate sandwiches. It helps with the short ones, too, but they are as clunky for me anyway.
  • Peanut4677
    Hello, I'm wondering if you're still liking your AG Empress? I really would like to purchase an electronic die cutting machine and have been trying to do as much reviewing and researching between the Empress, Switch and Gemini 2 as I can. It would really be helpful and I'd truly appreciate any honest feedback or opinions now that you've had the Empress for a bit. Thanks so much!
  • Dawna.s Place
    @peanut4677Â I've had my Empress for several years now and still absolutely love it! If you've read through this tread as there is a lot of good information about the Empress here, hopefully you've gleaned enough information to help you with your decision. I did a review of the Empress last year here at sb, which I'll share below:

"It's a Dream Machine!!!

If you're in the market for a new die cutting machine, the Empress stands head and shoulders above the rest! I've owned this machine for over 2 years now and I love it! I have used the manual and electronic Big Shot, as well as the Spellbinders Platinum. I was constantly struggling with warped plates with these machines, but that's not the case with the Empress. It's plate system is a bit thicker so warping is a thing of the past. I've made hundreds of passes with my 2 year old plates, and still no warping! The magnetic mat is very strong so you don't need to tape down your dies anymore either. Your die and cardstock remain firmly in place and the ridged metal shim ensures clean cuts every time. Highly detailed dies may need an additional cardstock shim or 2 passes to get a clean cut. It's simple compact design takes up very little desk space (a huge plus in small spaces) and it's 3 button design (off/on, run and reverse) is very intuitive and so easy to use. The Empress does make a modest humming nose when you run your sandwich through, but it's not overly noisy. You will need to grab your sandwich as it exits the machine, but I've never found this to be an actual nuisance. The large plate system allows you to run multiple dies through in a single pass which can be a real time saver. The Empress will accept steal ruled, thinlets, and all chemically etched dies. It also accepts most embossing folders and consistently embosses beautifully. The only dies the Empress will not run are the Tim Holtz BigZ dies and a few of Sizzix's 3D embossing folders. All and all, the Empress is a serious workhorse in your craftroom which makes die cutting and embossing super easy and fun!"

Hope this helped. Wishing you the best with your research, whatever you decide.

• CAQ
    I loved my Empress, but ended out getting a Sizzix Switch. I have the Spellbinders BetterPress and it will not work with the Empress, the opening is not high enough. I loved it, and still have it, but have not used it since purchasing the Sizzix Switch. Keep in mind if you will only be doing the thin dies and sandwiches or if you plan on the high sandwich items like SimplePress. Get a machine that will work with what you plan to be doing.

The Sizzix Switch is just as good. I have not replaced the plates in 4 month's use.

So, if you think you need the taller opening, don't be concerned about getting the Sizzix Switch Plus as an alternative. It does a wonderful job with the Anna Griffin dies, too.
  • Peanut4677
    Thank you so much for that information! I use my glimmer and betterpress all the time and didn't even think about whether or not I could use that with the Empress! Appreciate you sharing your experience, it's truly helpful.
  • Peanut4677
    Thanks so much for sharing this review with me! I use my glimmer and betterpress all the time and wasn't even considering on if I'd be able to use that with the Empress. But after reading another comment it looks like the Empress doesn't work with the betterpress and glimmer system. I'm still thinking it over as I still have my Spellbinders manual machine if nothing else. So truly appreciate you sharing this information! Thanks!!
  • Dawna.s Place
    Hi @peanut4677Â Your welcome. CAQ is correct, the Empress is only designed for die cutting and dry embossing. I realized that the one major plus the Empress has over the Spellbinders units, is that it is a wide format machine at 8.25" wide. If you'd like to be able to run large format dies (Anna Griffin specializes in large format dies) the Sizzix machines won't handle such dies at 6.25" wide. Sorry for the after thought, but I wish you the best with whatever you decide.
  • CAQ
    "Sizzix machines won't handle such dies at 6.25" wide"

I am confused my Sizzix Big Shot Plus switch has a 9 inch opening. I am not sure there is a small size Sizzix Switch. This is what I have. I have run large dies through it that would not fit the small Spellbinders machine, which I believe is the 6.25 wide one? The Sizzix Big Shot Plus Switch is larger than that, with a 9" opening. I could be mistaken, But I think this is the only size Switch, just has different bundles? I just want people reading to know that there is at least one Sizzix Switch model with the 9 inch wide opening, and it works with the Better Press and Glimmer. Again, I could very well be wrong.

• Dawna.s Place
    My apologies, I was actually referring to the standard Sizzix Big Shot, not all Sizzix machines. Yes I do believe that the Switch is their only wide format model at this point. Thanks for clarifying.
  • CAQ
    No problem. I just wanted to make sure Peanut4677 had the correct width info about the Big Shot Plus Switch.