FREE Standard Shipping on Orders $69+ with code: FREESHIPPING

Cutting back on supplies

• CAQ
    I am thinking of simplifying. I have way too many dies, etc. I spend more time looking through them and trying to decide. Not quite as fun, actually.

I am thinking of getting rid of 80% of my dies and then using what I have. Different layouts, different colors, etc. I have frogs, ducks, little peeps, little animals, back end of a pickup truck, etc. Most I never used, they just looked neat and were advertised well. I am thinking of chucking them all. I have been getting rid of them little by little, but I think I need to get back to basics. Rely on basic shapes, layers, inks, etc. I rarely use a card base die. They are just hanging around on a hook, dangling down in the way. I cut a sheet of 8 1/2x11 in half and get two card bases out of it.

Has anyone else done this? I just have too much stuff. I think getting back to the basics will actually make things easier.
  • Lisn2cats
    Come join us the Budget Challenge and Organization threads. There are quite a few of us trying hard to not just organize our stuff but also shop smarter and purge / trade more!
  • Kamananui
    NO! Don't get rid of everything just yet. I too am overwhelmed with supplies, but variety is the spice of life. If you are now confident in your style and you know something will never get used, get rid of it for certain, but what I suggest is each month gather a handful of supplies that work well together and just use that all month. Every month put together a new box of supplies. That way you don't have to waste time searching for products and you don't get bored always using the same supplies.
  • Lisn2cats
    You can also package the box like Kelly says, label it with a shipping label then ask someone to leave it outside your door in a couple of weeks and it's like you ordered stuff without ordering stuff...not saying I do this....or am I?
  • Sewflake
    Leave it to Lis to come up with an idea for us shoppers to get that “high” of new product without spending!! lol. It is a thought!

It is a fabulous idea to box up a set of supplies and use only those for a month. It would simplify without getting rid of more than half of what you have. Then if you find you can and like what you create with just a handful of product then start purging what your not using.

I might have to do that myself, more for the fact that I get overwhelmed with ideas then start flitting from one design to another! This would limit wasting time hunting thru supplies.

• Eapipkin
    If you have to get rid of them, consider donating them to the Veterans Warehouse or some organization like that.
  • Lisn2cats
    I just dropped off a big box of art supplies at my local crafty upcycle shop. You can either Google to find a center in your area or try using this link: https://artofrecycle.org/our-neighbors I believe each center supports different causes, whether it's their own or a partnership (mine supports children's camps). The downside is you may end up doing more shopping than giving!!!
  • CAQ
    There are no centers like that anywhere around me. That is one of my issues with no longer needing things. Salvation Army does not want them. We really do not have places for donations, other than clothes around here. Kind of a drought in this area along that line.

I will put a bunch in a plastic bin, and put it in the basement. If after 6 months I do not miss them, out they go. I really need to downsize my craft supplies. It is keeping me away with so much stuff. Live and learn. In 6 months, weather will be good enough to set them out front. What is left, I will figure out. Playing games with them, making them feel like a new purchase, as funny as it is, does not get rid of them. I have too much and just need to get them out.

I did wrap some of my older daughter's items up, that she left at the house, for Christmas after she got married. I did it about 7 years after she got married. She had to take them home with her, they were Christmas presents, 😂.
  • Gluemore Girl
    Almost annually, I will do a "re-set". Meaning, I go through my some/most of my supplies and those that I know I won't use, I give away.
    If there is something I love, I keep it out and challenge myself to use it.
    There was a YouTuber (Jen Schow) who did a Use it or Lose it challenge to decide if she really wanted to keep a scrap supply or tool or lose it. I was kind of inspired by her and while I don't have a perfect system, it works. I don't have unlimited space or time so what I buy has to work for me and have a home in my space. She would also make a box of items that she wanted to challenge herself to use for that month and that was another cool idea.
    I also agree with the idea to box up items and store them away. If you miss something, you know where to find it, if you don't find an art teacher or crafter who might want it. Facebook has a lot of "buy nothing" groups or you can try to sell on FB marketplace.
    : )
  • Sewflake
    I started last night with Kamananui's idea of filling a supply box for the month. Today I am working from that box…and enjoying it.
    While it does not reduce my stash it may as in that box I put items I have not used in months and months to see how well I do with them. If I don't can't won't put them to use then it's something I can purge without wanting it back, or worse yet buying more.
    Great to pack up a box and store then away for a time.

• GMFTS
    This a great idea. A good way to use tools and supplies that have been waiting to be used.
  • Sewflake
    I just put together a new box of supplies to use this month. I did keep the inks from last month in the March box as I didn't use them much (they might have to be purged) to see if I remember and use.
    I did find a different way to use my Artisa watercolor markers. I found the brush markers to be too intense in color so I watered them down on a media mat and was able to “blend” from light to dark that way.
    I am excited to continue with different supplies each month to use things that have been languishing in my stash.
  • Kelly.R
    I have donated unwanted supplies to Good Will and our local Catholic Charity stores.

) emoji Kelly
  • CAQ
    If only. There is no Good Will around here. I am not wanting to leave a bunch or stuff around for the kids to take care of later, so I am trying to do it myself. I was able to find someone who wants my knitting machines, except the one I want to keep. They will be picked up this summer. That's done.

No, there is nothing wrong with me. I am just getting up there in age and need to start cutting back and ridding the house on unused, or unneeded items.

It is a lot easier to find what I want to use with the little I have gotten rid of or sent to a friend who wanted them, I sent photos. I have a long way to go, though. There wasn't much of what I sent photos of that she wanted. She is in the same boat I am in.

The cards I am making, of late, are a lot more simple. I actually like them better.

• DKravec
    CAQ, I'm with you. I'm getting up there in age so I'm trying to declutter my entire house so that my son isn't stuck with my mess. I've decluttered a ton of my craft items so far but I will admit that there are a few things I wish I hadn't gotten rid of but overall I'm fine with what I've let go of. I do have a local craft store that I can donate to so my box of stamps will be going there and I'm lucky to have a wonderful local thrift store to give my home decor to. I've got about fifteen more boxes of stuff in the basement to go thru and get rid of then I'm going to label what's left into plastic bins and put on the shelves I just had put in the basement. As of now there are boxes everywhere. I moved in here four years ago and haven't gotten totally organized yet. I'll get there.